How We Work Together
How we work together makes a difference in the quality of our work, and whether we find our work satisfying, energizing, and meaningful. Our shared values are reflected in the following five principles.
We treat each other with respect and dignity. We assume of each other good effort, responsibility, competence, and knowledgeable and informed action. We recognize that all contribute to our collective success.
- Assume positive intent and recognize the impact of our words and actions
- Act with courtesy and kindness
- Listen with intention to what others have to say
- Acknowledge the work of others
We seek out a full range of perspectives and breadth of experience as we work together. We support each other and ensure that all have the means to thrive.
- Remove barriers in our hiring
- Be mindful of our own biases and ways in which we discriminate
- Commit time to purposeful inclusive practice
- Be open to and look for ways to get broad feedback
- Examine and address structural barriers that limit opportunities to participate and contribute
We recognize that communication is a collective responsibility with lasting impact that requires clarity, accuracy, frequency, and strategy. Sharing more information with each other is inherently better than less.
- Share information clearly and in a timely manner
- Seek and provide constructive feedback to improve understanding, address challenges, and enable successful collaboration
- Ensure that voices are heard and decisions are articulated with integrity and candor
- Treat every communication as an opportunity to improve outcomes
We work together, building on each other’s contributions and strengths, to accomplish common goals.
- Work across departments and libraries with serious consideration of all parties’ ideas
- Leverage the expertise of library staff
- Rotate committee members to invite different perspectives
- Act as one library for the benefit of our users
We enable each other to grow, develop skills, and access the resources needed to make thoughtful decisions and take appropriate actions; we hold ourselves accountable for the outcomes of our decisions and actions.
- Encourage experimentation and creativity
- Allow for flexibility in how staff and managers work
- Provide training and support for staff development
- Be comfortable with risk and provide support to learn from mistakes